Friday, January 16, 2009

An Impromptu Comic Strip in Class

"An impromptu COMIC strip, not "an impromptu STRIP". Sorry to disappoint any would-be voyeurs...

***

Just before the Christmas and New Year break, my students had their last pop quiz for "Control Systems and Automation".

While they have their quizzes, I usually doodle something on the whiteboard as a time reminder. Usually it is something simple - and "explosive" - like an exploding cannonball with a fuse marked in terms of remaining time, or a bunch of dynamite sticks with a countdown timer. But that day, I decided to do something a bit more elaborate:





At the last-5-minute point, I allowed a 20-minute extension, upon their petition, making the remaining time 25 minutes.

Well, to be honest, I had anticipated they would ask for an extension - as usual - so the following three panels were not a last-minute change of story line. I had already pictured the story this way since the beginning.




The moral of the story (to my students): no matter how much time I give you, your end will still be the same. Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha (laughing diabolically).

No comments: