Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dumbo up the Hills - #6: The Balik Pulau Hill

I don't really know what that hill is called. I think I didn't even asked. After all, there was a local - Thomas - to guide me, so I did not really ask a lot of question. Except "will it be a difficult climb?" and "how long will it take?" :-)

***

The path is actually a cement path wide enough for small trucks, which local durian orchard owners use to carry their durian harvests down the hill during the durian season. On normal days, the orchard owners use motorcycle to access their "turfs", while us hikers take advantage of this path to advance our health. :-)


The view was marvelous all along the way... that is, if your mind is not yet preoccupied with the thought of how tired you are. :-D


I particularly like the following stretch along which some Pinang palms (from which the Penang Island derived its name) were planted.





It took us nearly two hours (if I remember correctly) to reach the "top". It is not exactly the peak of the hill, but for hikers, that serves as a main destination point. It is actually a crossroad of sort, with a pavilion built smack at the middle of it.

During durian seasons, orchard owners and durian middlemen would gather here to sort of "auction" for the fruits. It's a rather happening place at those times. :-)


If you continue onward, you would descend to the Air Itam Dam...


And if you turn left, you would ascend further to a higher point at which a temple was built (I would on a later occasion follow my uncle on a hike up to that point; but that's another story for later). And if you turn right, um... I don't quite remember now where it leads to, but I think it is also another temple or something.

The view from the "top" was wonderful...



No comments: