Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Dumbo in the Kitchen - #12: "OR" Chicken Revisited

I have a bad habit in the kitchen of going with the feelings: I simply put in whatever ingredients I felt like putting in at the moment. So, I totally forgot the exact recipe of my first attempt at "OR" (oat-roasted) chicken.

A few days later, I went at it again. This time, I took more pictures to help me remember the recipe and process. :-)

***

Step 1:
Steam the chicken with the "secret herbs and spices". Well, not very "secret" actually. Just some garlic, chilies, celery, soy sauce, rice wine, black pepper, etc. ("Etc" as in, again, I don't remember exactly.)


Step 2:
Drain the gravy. Season some Quaker instant oat with salt and pepper and whatever other secret herbs and spices you fancy.


Step 3:
Place steamed chicken on roasting plate. Cover with honey.


Step 4:
Cover with instant oat from Step 2. Roast in oven to a golden crisp.


Step 5:
Serve. (What else?) Dig in.


Remember the gravy drain from Step 2? Don't discard it! It's the perfect salad dip. Yep, you heard me right: salad "dip". The trick is to use chopstick to eat salad. Pick up some lettuce and carrot and celery and what-not with your chopstick, dip them in the gravy, and dump them in your mouth.


Yummy.


***

The oat layer was not as crispy as the first time, but it was still delicious. The trick to a crispier oat layer is in a more generous amount of honey and a thinner layer of oat, I think.

No comments: