Monday, October 27, 2008

Dumbo On The Go - #3: Public Amenities

I love travel, but I also hate travel.

One of the biggest hassle about traveling - going to strange new places - is that you are going to strange new places, where you do not know the *geography* of the place.

You know, when a man has to go see a man about a dog, or when a lady needs to put powder on her nose.

***

We recently had a tour of the northern half of the Penang Island, for the benefit of a cousin of my wife, who was organizing a trip to Penang for his juniors in UTAR. But before writing about that, I should like to share here a couple of older photos of places where I have used the "public amenities". ;-p

First up, the Metropolitan Park in Relau. If you happen to be in Relau, and you need to go, consider going to this very scenic and well-built park. Nice place. Just don't trust the signs. They point you to the wrong direction. Just use your nose to guide you.


We still have an apartment in Relau, and we had lived there for no less than 5 years, I think. But while we were still living there, I had never once really set foot in this park (I drove past the entrance once, I think).

The other day, after dropping off my wife at the airport (who was going back to her hometown to visit her father, who was at that time down with a rather worrying illness) very early in the morning, I thought I would go shop for some daily necessities (milk powder - that was before the melamine scare - olive oil, some nuts, etc.) at one of the hypermarkets in the Bayan Lepas area. Unfortunately, Giant has changed its opening time from 8:30am to 9:30am, and Jusco only opens at 10am. And sure enough, I suddenly felt that I needed to go.

It was 8am. I could of course go to a 24-hour Nasi Kandar shop or something, but I hate to take advantage of the proprietor without giving him some business (I wasn't planning to have a second breakfast; after all, I was supposed to watch my diet). So I thought of giving up shopping, and see if I could dash home - all the way to Pantai Acheh, which would take at best 40 minutes - in time before the problem got out of hand.

When I was nearing Relau, it suddenly struck me that I would surely find what I need in the Metropolitan Park! What kind of public park is without the you-know-what?

So I went there.

My problem was eventually solved, but, not before I spent a good five minutes searching in vain, thanks to the aforementioned misleading signs. Really, if you are ever there and needed to go, just follow your nose.

***

At the summit point of Jalan Tun Sardon is a nice little place with a breath-taking view of the Balik Pulau municipality. There are some stalls there selling food and beverages, and a very nice-looking hut as pictured below:


Well, yes, I have made "deposits" there, too.

It was another attempt - on another occasion even earlier than the abovementioned incident - to rush home for the "business". But it couldn't wait that long. So I stopped at the summit point rest-stop, and let go of my problem there.


It is comforting to know that such public amenities exist. :-p

***

On the above two occasions, I was in familiar territory. I shudder to think what mess I would have made of myself if I were in unfamiliar territory, while on a trip or something. I can't imagine.

So, when planning a trip, make sure you get a map that shows you where you may relieve yourself. :-D

No comments: