Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Grapes

Grapes. We eat them. We drink them. We ferment them and then drink them. Ah. That wonderful fruit. That brilliant, brilliant creation of the LORD.

***

I'm posting this rather as a reminder for myself, that I can prepare something like this again, in the future, if we wish to have a sort of Holy Communion at home (maybe we'll do just that this coming Christmas and next Easter):


Grapes, grape juice, and unleavened breads (with grape residue).

***

I don't have a juicer, so I blend the grapes with a blender to get the juice. And the way I strained out the residue actually left a considerable amount of juice in the residue, so I decided to use the residue to make some grape-flavored unleavened breads.

It's very easy to make: just add flour (and some instant oats, if you like to make it somewhat "wholemeal") and a pinch of salt to the still-juicy residue. How much flour? Well, just enough to soak up all the juice that is still inside the residue, to form a lump of dough. Then just flatten the dough (you can make one big piece, or a few small pieces) and fry on a pan with a bit of olive oil.

***

Luke 22:14 And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him.
Luke 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:
Luke 22:16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
Luke 22:17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:
Luke 22:18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.
Luke 22:19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
Luke 22:20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

No comments: