Saturday, April 19, 2008

Dumbo: Gourmet Extraordinaire - #2: Tiger biting Pig

I was sauntering along Carnarvon Street waiting for my wife to finish shopping for books, and I came across an eatery (I shall reveal the name later), whose branch in Bayan Baru I had patronized before, so I decided to have a bite of something there.

I had always wondered about a breakfast dish that they regularly feature, called, literally, "tiger biting pig" (虎咬猪). When I first saw this entry on the menu, the image that jumped into my mind was as shown below:

Poor piggy.

By the way, I drew the image using GIMP Portable. It is packed with quite a lot of features, considering that it is a free software.

Anyway, I only go to their Bayan Baru branch for lunch, so I never had the occasion to try this suggestively-named delicacy...

But there I was, in Carnarvon Street, and the time was around 10.30am (they serve breakfast till 11am), and I was feeling like having something heartier than that bowl of Hokkien Mee I had earlier for the first breakfast. Now, time for the second breakfast (yeah, Samwise Gamgee is one of my favorite heroes of all time).

So I sat down and ordered the "Tiger biting Pig", along with a cup of soy milk.

When the thing came, I couldn't help but laughed at my fanciful imagination prior to that moment of revelation. Here's what the dish looks like:


Yeap, a piece of stewed pork (plus some pickled lettuce or something) served in mantou (Chinese steamed bun).

Anyway, to be fair, it tasted good. I mean, I've always loved pork stew, so, that is totally up my alley. And although I don't really like pickles, in this dish, the slightly sour pickles actually served to offset the oiliness of the pork stew and made the thing enjoyable to the last bite.

Hmm. That would make me the human who was biting the tiger that was biting the pig...

Or, if you consider the fact that I was born in the year of the Tiger, it would be the human born in the tiger year biting the tiger that was biting the pig...

That's too complicated. >.<

By and by the way, that eatery was Mommy Wang's. They deliver lunch from 11am to 3pm. For RM5, you get rice, a main dish (chicken, pork, etc.), half a stewed egg, and three vegetable side dishes. And if your total order is below RM50, they charge an additional 5% for delivery. Quite reasonable IMHO. But I forgot their phone numbers... =.=

Oh, in case it wasn't obvious: the place is extremely non-halal, of course. ;-p

1 comment:

Dumbo, the Sojourning Elephant said...

Actually, I was hoping they would soon come up with a new dish: "Tiger biting Lamb". That would be totally awesome.