Sunday, June 22, 2008

Dumbo: Gourmet Extraordinaire - #6: Simple Pleasure

Ever since I learned about the existence - and goodness - of muesli from an issue of Reader's Digest many years ago, I have always loved this simple, delicious and wholesome food.

***

My first box of muesli was Alpen Swiss-style Muesli. IMHO, it is still among the best muesli available on Malaysian shelves. But it was my first muesli simply because at that time, there weren't as many brands as we can find these days. Or I should say, not many brands have come to Malaysian shore at that time.

But Alpen is expensive. After a couple of box of Alpen, I switched to other cheaper alternatives.

***

Then, for a time, I stopped eating muesli, because I have sort of lost my sweet tooth.

The trend with muesli these days is to boast about how many percents of fruits and nuts it contains. "40% fruits and nuts", "45% fruits, seeds and nuts", "DELUXE! 50% fruits, seeds and nuts" and so on.

But more often than not, it simply means the product contains over 30% of raisins and sultanas. And that means SWEET, even with no added sugar.

After half a bowl, the sweetness starts to get to you, and you have to brace yourself for another half bowl of the onslaught of cavity-inducing sweetness.

Therefore, I quit muesli.

***

A few weeks ago, my wife went for a two-week training, and on one of those days, I decided to take a break from cooking and eat three meals of muesli on the next day. So, I went to Tesco to shop for a box of muesli.

Not wishing to go for those "40%", "45%", "50%" sweet-bombs, I bought Tesco's Swiss-style muesli. And a 900ml (what happened to the 1-liter pack?) bottle of Dutch Lady Full Cream Milk.

Surprisingly, the two proved to be a very delightful combination.


Tesco's Swiss-style muesli does not boast of 40%++ fruits and nuts and seeds, which, to me, is a good thing. And although it came with certain percentage of brown sugar in it, it turned out not overly sweet as the other brands.

Add to it the creaminess of the milk, the taste was simply wonderful.

1 comment:

SMS said...

Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs anyone? :P