Monday, September 14, 2009

Dumbo the Accidental Baker - #2: Saving a Limp Lump of Dough

So, what fate became that first lump of limp dough?


I took half a tablespoon of the new batch of active dry yeast, added a little bit of warm water, poured it onto the dough, added a bit more flour, and kneaded away...

And finally, after another half an hour, it rose.


I happened to have prepared quite a lot of fried shallot the day before, so I rolled the dough into a long strip and twirled in some of that fried shallot...


And let it sit for the second proofing. This time, I was going to bake it in the container it was proofed in.


After the second proofing, I dusted it with the same oat-and-muesli dust I prepared for the English muffins...


And baked it at 175 degree Celcius for twenty minutes (I would later find out from Thomas that twenty minutes is too long for bread, making the texture too dry and hard).


It turned out to be rather good. :-)





You can tell from the number of pictures I took that I was rather proud with this attempt. ;-)

The bread tasted nice when it was fresh from the oven, with a hint of the fragrance of the fried shallot. It is rather bland when it is cool, because I did not really put in any flavoring.

No comments: