Saturday, September 12, 2009

Dumbo the Occasional Poet - #2: "Branches"

The picture was taken during my fourth hike up the AI DAM, training for my Kinabalu climb.

Looking at the picture, I had imagined that I was sitting by a window, and there was this tree growing outside the window, stretching its branches across the view through the window. Hence the poem.

***


"Branches"

Slowly my branches grow
across your gloomy window

You will think me obtrusive
or even find me repulsive
for I have come uninvited
and I will grow uninhibited

But in time you will know--
(though long it may take to show)

--that my branches will music bring
in the robins of the spring

--that my branches will a shade make
from the heat of the summer bake

--that my branches will a picture show
with autumn colors red and yellow

And ere the coming of the snow
when the heart is prone to sorrow
A patch of beauty will yet I bring
to awaken your heart to sing--

Therefore will I grow
across your lonely window...

***

This poem is a reflection on things that are out of our control, that nonetheless are never out of God's control. And in everything, God's plan for those of us who trust in Him and love Him is always the best, even though we may not realize at the time.

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)

No comments: