Monday, March 31, 2008

Dumbo's Motivational Wallpapers: Part 1


A terribly bored guy + MS Paintbrush + run-of-the-mill motivational sayings = GREAT Motivational Wallpaper!

...OK, maybe the image size is a bit small for today's big and wide screen. Still, this and seven others remain my favorite wallpapers and/or screensaver slides.

***

What is fun to me about the motivational part is the disparity between the supposedly motivational saying and the picture. Take this one for example: the caption says "Carpe Diem", which means "Seize the Day!" in Latin (I learned that from "Dead Poets Society", one of my favorite films of all time), but, obviously, the cow is not doing that at all. Instead, it is taking its sweet time chewing on the grass.

I guess my sentiment at the time when I drew this was to express our (the teaching staff at the college where I was teaching full-time at that time) wish to have more frequent and longer breaks. :-) I really resented being considered an Energizer bunny that could just keep going and going and going and going. That sentiment ultimately led to my quitting my full-time job to work - now - as a freelance translator and part-time lecturer (back at the same college, where else?).

In another sense, the caption can be taken as agreeing with the picture, if you read it as meaning "seizing the day to relax all you can". Ah, don't we all wish we could do that. :-p

So, to everybody out there, carpe diem!

No comments: